Friday, August 10, 2018

Katie Carlson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Katie Carlson is a twirler, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Exeter. Just after winning her crown, she
agreed to discuss those topics with us, and a few more. I’m sure you’ll be glad she did!

So, let’s see what happens when Katie Carlson visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Exeter crown?
It's funny, I really enjoy being busy, so I agreed to perform in my baton team's summer show the next day. So I went to a little get together after I was crowned and then went home to sleep so that I could perform to the best of my ability the next morning at the Red Star Show! I had a lot of fun being able to perform my talent routine again! 

You recently competed for the Miss Pennsylvania crown. How do you think your multi-state experience will help you at Miss New Hampshire?
I actually started competing in the Miss America Organization in New Hampshire. I competed for Miss New Hampshire's Outstanding Teen and placed top 5, I then competed in Miss New Hampshire twice as Miss Seacoast and Miss Greater Plaistow before taking a year off and then competing in Pennsylvania. I have enjoyed being a part of both organizations tremendously! I think that seeing how other state organizations work is always beneficial because there is always room to grow. I am so excited to be back in New Hampshire, competing to represent the state that I call home! 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Exeter?
I have many goals I’d like to accomplish as Miss Exeter. My
biggest goal is to know that I have helped change someone else's life. Whether that is through community service or working with my platform, I am here to be a role model and to help others live positive lives so they can be role models as well. (one of my biggest life goals is to see the statute of limitations in child sexual abuse cases eliminated. I plan to work toward that goal as Miss Exeter!).

What is your personal fitness routine?
I have always loved working out! I never really took to eating healthy until college, but since then I have learned a tremendous
amount about my health and the goals I strive to reach. I work at Orangetheory Fitness, so being healthy and working out is a part of my life every day. I take Orangetheory Fitness classes almost daily, but outside of that just getting in around 30 minutes of exercise a day is very important to me. What I have found to be extremely important for me is how I fuel my body. I have a meal plan that I follow pretty much every day (everyone needs a cheat day every once in a while!). The journey I have been on with my health and fitness has not been easy, but I'm so happy to be at a place where I feel healthy and confident in my own skin! I just recently started a lifestyle blog to document my best pieces of advice, favorite workouts, and daily motivations! I hope you will all joking my journey by following @katieelizabethcarlson on Instagram and visiting www.katiefueledbycoffee.wordpress.com

How did you select your platform, “Child Sexual Abuse – Protecting the Innocent”?
At the age of 11, I walked down the stairs of my family's vacation
cottage and told my family that my brother had been sexually abusing me for years. It was those three long and painful years that shaped me into the woman I am today. I have dealt with setbacks and struggles for a majority of my life because of the sexual abuse, but I never let that stop me. I used it as my motivation to prove that I could and would be better, I would not let what happened to me define my future. The Miss America Organization helped me to find my voice, it helped me to use my pain and suffering to stand up and help others. I now stand confidently and share my personal experiences with the world. Knowing that I shouldn't statistically be where I am today makes me want to help people even more. I want victims to know that no matter the circumstances, we can live positive and happy lives. I want children to know it's okay to come forward if this has happened to them. I want parents, teachers, and anyone that is around children to know the signs of a sexually abused child and to be able to talk to kids about child sexual abuse so that we can prevent it from ever happening. I want to end child sexual abuse. Through my platform, I fight for the most innocent...our children.

As a former Penn State University majorette, does the experience of performing in front of such large crowds help you during the talent portion of the competition?
Absolutely! I LOVED performing in front of 110,000 screaming fans in Beaver Stadium, so I pretend that when I'm on stage I'm twirling in Beaver Stadium again! 

You recently attended a Luke Bryan concert at Fenway. How did you like Fenway Park as a concert venue?
I thought it was one of the best concerts I had been to! They were able to have fireworks during the show and it was a perfect summer night, not to mention Luke Bryan in a Red Sox shirt, singing "Sweet Caroline"...was AMAZING!

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
I so wish Big Papi was still playing because it would always be him! However, since he is retired, I would have to say Mookie Betts. I went to a Red Sox vs. Yankees game a couple of years ago and he was still a relatively new name to baseball. I fell in love with him as a player, his attitude and his dedication won me over!

How will the Red Sox finish the 2018 season?

As the World Series Champions of course! The Red Sox have a
great record and are playing really well this season...I know they will go all the way!

----

I can't disagree with that!

As always, I want to give lots of thanks to Katie for doing this interview, especially so soon after winning her crown. I also want to thank her for providing so many pictures to accompany the interview. They made it a lot more fun!

As Katie continues her time as Miss Exeter I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page! In addition to Katie's lifestyle blog she mentioned above, you should also follow her regular blog to make sure you don't miss a thing!

I also want to wish Katie luck as she competes for Miss New Hampshire competition next spring. It would be so exciting for a second consecutive Section 36 visitor to take home that crown!

Thanks again Katie, and good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, awesome platform Katie, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week