Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Way Out West

Usually I like West Coast games. Well, at least I enjoy them more than Midwest games. For games in California, I know there's no way I'm staying up for the whole thing. There's not much chance I'll be up for more than an inning or two. So, I don't even have to try. I can just go to bed, and wake up to find out the score. It's nice to have all the decisions made for you like that.

But, this week it's different.

For one thing, the Sox are on fire. I hate the idea of missing a chance to see the bludgeon another team into submission. They're just too much fun right now to be happy about missing a game or two.

Second, David Price is on the mound tonight. I hate missing a chance to see one of the Sox aces do his thing. Especially after I was robbed of a longer outing by him last time he was on the mound. I hate the idea of missing this one too.

Third, Shohei Ohtani is on the mound tonight. There's lots of excitement around him right now, so I wouldn't mind seeing him before it fades away. Which I can only assume it will. Right now, Ohtani reminds me of Randy Moss. When he was drafter, he had some character questions that caused him to slide lower in the draft than you'd expect for a guy with his talent. Minnesota took a chance on him, and he went out to have a massive rookie season. People started crowing about how the Vikings had taken the gamble and won. No. Everyone knew he had the talent, and could have a good season. The issue was spending a first round pick on a talent that may wear out his welcome. The first year wasn't a win. The tenth year was. The same, I feel, goes for Ohtani. Yes, he's playing well. Everyone know he could play well. The question that stopped teams from offering the big bucks was the long haul. Can he keep up the pitching performance over an entire season while he's hitting three times a week? Can he hit when he's spending so much time not hitting? The April numbers weren't the question. (Well, weren't as big of a question.) It's the September numbers that people wondered about. That's when the Angels can brag about being right. 

But, I'd still like to see what all the fuss is about.

So, I'm actually disappointed about missing tonight's game. 

I can't wait to read all about it in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. I know...me too, I am on the East Coast right now and the start of the Angels game is 1000pm. I am going to stay up for an inning or two to see how Ohtani does before I head to bed. Can't stay up until 0100.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week