Friday, November 3, 2017

Kayla Warren Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Kayla Warren is a karate demo team member, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Greater Nashua. I was
excited when she agreet to visit with us to discuss those topics, and more. I’m sure you will be too.

So, let’s see what happens when Kayla Warren visits Section 36!


You were crowned the first ever Miss Greater Nashua. How does it feel to have that honor?
I am very excited to be able to represent the first ever Miss Greater Nashua!  As someone who is relatively new to the pageant world, I feel like I’ve been given an opportunity to really create a positive and unique image for this title.  I grew up in Nashua and am looking forward to building connections with the community and inspiring the youth to reach their goals.

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater Nashua title?
First, by calling my Mom who lives out in Arizona and then I drove back up to school in Vermont to share the news with my housemates.  After competing all summer, it felt so rewarding to be able to take a tittle home.  My friends treated me to a large maple creemee before I had to start my preparation for Miss New Hampshire!

Your talent of "Flying Kama Karate" is definitely one of the more unique ones I've come across. How did that come to be?
When I was 7 years old I held my birthday party at a karate studio
and then enrolled in classes.  Ever since then I have been learning different styles of Karate like Tae Kwon Do, Jiu Jistu, board breaking and weapon forms.  I was fortunate enough to make the demo team and learned many flashy and cool techniques.  Everyone usually finds one weapon they enjoy to perform and I found flying kamas. I’ve continued to practice this weapon and love that I can bring a new talent to the Miss New Hampshire stage.

How did you choose your platform, “Discovering the Confidence Within”?
Growing up I was bullied and lost a lot of confidence in myself.  I lost out on many opportunities to grow because I was too afraid to be made fun of when I tried new things.  The reason I started to compete was for my senior project in high school.  I was studying how someone could build confidence through competing.  I knew the perfect platform would involve me being able to spread my message of confidence and inspire youth and adults to love who they are and embrace their best qualities.

What is something you learned from the Miss Greater Nashua competition that will help you when you compete for Miss NH?
I learned its okay to not be perfect.  During my interview I stumbled over a few of my words and didn’t think it was the best interview I’ve ever had.  After, when I asked for feedback, I learned its not about being the most ‘perfect’ contestant. Its about being passionate and creative.  I will continue to strive to be the best version of myself in and out of the pageant. 

Is there a specific goal you'd like to accomplish during your reign as Miss Greater Nashua?
One goal I have is to reach 365 hours of community service.  That
is one hour per day of my reign.  Of course I want to get as many hours as I can, but this is a good place to start!

Who was your favorite Red Sox player growing up? Why?
Big Papi of course!  He was known for hitting homeruns and as a little kid seeing someone that awesome was wicked cool.  

Other than Section 36, where do you (or, where would you) like to sit to watch a Red Sox game?
On my grandparent’s couch with my grandfather!  He has taken me to almost every baseball game I’ve gone to and is a great person to attend with.  Especially since he will jump out of his seat to try and catch a foul ball for me!  When we don’t get the chance to sit at Fenway, our couch is the next best spot to enjoy the game.

What do you remember about your first trip to Fenway Park?
I remember walking into the stadium, in awe, since it was my first ever baseball game.  My grandfather stopped and got me the classic ball park dog and soda.  I also got my first baseball hat and felt like a true fan.  I couldn’t believe how many people actually attended the games and I felt so small compared to the crowd.  We almost caught a foul ball, but the people next to us got it first.  This is one of my favorite memories growing up of my grandfather and I.  

----

What a great memory. Those first trips to Fenway certainly have a way of imprinting themselves on you forever.

As always, I want to give a huge thank you to Kayla for agreeing to the interview. It was a lot of fun, and is always flattering when someone takes the time to share their life with us. Another big thanks to her for allowing us to use the great pictures in the post. They certainly add a little bit of flair to the visit.

As Kayla continues her time as Miss Greater Nashua, I encourage you to following along by liking the Miss Greater Nashua Facebook page. 

Naturally, I want to wish Kayla luck this summer as she competes once again for the Miss NH crown! It would be fantastic if a Section 36 visitor brought home that title.


Thanks again Kayla, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week