Friday, November 24, 2017

Kacie Flahive Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Kacie Flahive is a singer, Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Kingston. You may even remember her
from the picture with Section 36 that she submitted some time ago. I thought it would be fantastic to finally ask her if she'd like to visit with us to discuss those topics, and more. Thankfully she agreed. Hope you like the results as much as I do!

So, let’s see what happens when Kacie Flahive visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Kingston?
I bought myself a planner! Something I decided early on was that I
wanted to better myself this year and stay organized and on top of important dates. It was amazing bonding with my Miss Kingston/Seacoast family early on, especially because our Outstanding Teen titleholders are sisters! It really could not have worked out more perfectly, and I'm incredibly lucky to have such supportive people in my life. 

How did you choose your platform, “Preventing Animal Cruelty and Opting to Adopt”?
It was actually a pretty easy choice for me, as I have been a volunteer at the MSPCA at Nevin's Farm for two years. Also being a part of a family who has adopted animals in the past, promoting the adoption of animals has always been something I've been passionate about. It's a topic that's so close to my heart, and doesn't always get the public attention it deserves. 

As a talented singer, what is your favorite thing about performing in front of an audience?
I love the nerves I get every time I perform. No matter how many times I have sang on that stage, or sang the same song, I still get just as nervous every time. It used to be something that held me back a little, but now I use those jitters to push myself to have the best performance I can give. I like to think those nerves motivate me to give the audience a performance to remember. 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Kingston?
I'd really like to challenge myself! My first year in the program was a learning experience for me, but now that I'm more comfortable and have more confidence I'd love to see what else I can do with this wonderful program. A bit of a side goal, I'd like to increase the amount of events I sing the national anthem for. Being asked to sing the anthem for any of our sponsored events is such an honor, and I love being able to give back to our communities and our sponsors in that special way. 

What did you learn from the Miss Kingston competition that will help you compete for Miss NH?
I think the sheer size of competing in Miss Kingston was something that helped my get back into the Miss New Hampshire mindset. At that competition I believe we had somewhere around 19 contestants, which almost seems like nothing compared to the 28 that compete on the Miss NH stage. It was my first local of the year, so I'm thankful I had such talented girls to compete against and really bring me back into that level mindset you need for states. It was a good reminder for me that no matter the stage, no matter the contestants, and no matter the title; you always have to be bringing your best attitude and preparation to the competition. 
Photo by
Craig Michaud Photography

What part of the upcoming Miss NH competition are you most nervous about?
I wouldn't say it makes me nervous, but I'm interested to see how I leave my mark in the program now that I am officially past my "Rookie" year. We had a really young class last year, and a lot of new competitors (including myself). I'm excited to see how I can step up to the plate and compete now that I have some experience under my belt. 

Who was you favorite Red Sox player growing up? Why?
Curt Schilling! I honestly can't even give you a "why", but as a kid he was just always my favorite! I remember having a set of old baseball cards, and one of them was a special edition one for Schilling about the famed "bloody sock". I was only 5 during the 2004 ACLS game against the Yankees when that happened and the following history-making World Series; but it's a memory that I've always found near to my heart. Something I would always look forward to when I would visit my grandparents (especially my Bumpa, who is one of the biggest Red Sox fans I've ever known) was that whenever there were newspaper clippings of the Red Sox or Curt Schilling, they would always cut it out and leave it for me.  

What’s the best part about watching a game in Fenway Park?
Everything about being inside Fenway Park is magical. From my first time visiting as a 5-year-old, to my high school senior trip, that park has continued to amaze me. I might be a little biased, but Boston sports fans are (in my opinion) the best in the world. There's such a special feeling being surrounded by your fellow Sox fans, singing Sweet Caroline and eating Fenway Franks, that all you can concentrate on is being in that exact moment. I think "magical" is the best way to describe a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. 

What was your favorite memory from the 2017 Red Sox season?

My favorite memory was from the game I was able to attend with my senior graduating class. I just graduated from high school this past June, and being able to drive into Boston with your classmates and make memories at Fenway is something you look forward to since freshman year. Being only days before our graduation ceremony, it was such a cool experience to make some final memories with my classmates and teachers. Before that, the last time I attended a game at Fenway was in 2004. It almost felt fitting that I was able to mark my bridge into adulthood at a place that gave me some of my favorite childhood memories. I remember as we left after those extra innings, I looked back into the park one more time just to take it all in. Looking back on it now, I can feel myself feeling the excitement I had being there. 

-----

I couldn't have said that any better myself!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Kacie for doing this interview. She did an incredible job. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. There were so many amazing shots, they really helped the interview tell its story.

As Kacie continues her time as Miss Kingston, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Kingston Facebook page. (As luck would have it, you can catch up with prior visitor Samantha there as well!)

And, of course, I want to wish Kacie luck next summer as she competes for the Miss New Hampshire crown. How awesome would it be for a Section 36 visitor to come out on top?

Thanks again Kacie, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week