Thursday, April 27, 2017

Was Josh Beckett Any Good?

It’s been a while, so I thought it would be fun to dive back into the scorebooks and see how people performed with my watchful eye peering down on them.

Today I chose Josh Beckett. He had quite a roller coaster of a career here in Boston, from terrible trade to ace to deadweight. But, did the games I saw reflect that? Let’s see.



On first glance, I was surprised that I saw so few Beckett starts. Seven games over seven years seems pretty sparse to me. The other thing you notice is that, yes, I captured the up and down nature of Beckett’s career.

It looks like in the seven games, I got two absolute stinkers and five very high quality starts. Interestingly enough, one of the stinkers was during his best season of 2007. So, while the numbers would say that on the whole I saw a guy with a mid-threes ERA, in actuality most of the time I saw a guy give up a run or fewer. That’s not bad at all.

How do his starts with me in the park project out? An 18-9 record is pretty darn good. Not legendary or anything, but exactly what you’d be looking for. As is his 3.40 ERA and 1.01 WHIP. He would strike out fewer people than I would have expected. I was actually surprised when I looked how low his strikeouts per game were. Only once did I see him strike out ten batters, and only twice did he strike out more than one batter per inning.

But, overall, the Josh Beckett I saw would be the ace of many staffs. It makes me wish I saw him more often.


How did he do with you in the park?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week