Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge: Day #3

Tony, the wonderful writer of the “Off Hiatus Baseball” blog, started a fun activity based off the “30-Day Music Challenge” that Twitter users were taking. The list of challenges looks like this:


Today, we have Challenge #3: A card from the first set you tried to complete.


I’m fairly certain that the first set I ever tried to complete was 1987 Topps. I don’t think I ever tried to complete the set in 1986, and that would be the only other candidate. So, for this exercise I’m just going to assume it was the ’87. With that nailed down, I'm going to go with this card: 



I was just a youngster when this card came out, but remember being very confused when I saw it. “Earliest home run”. What did that mean? By date? By time? As it turns out, it means by pitch. Dwight Evans hit the first pitch of the season out of the park. Of course, that was just the first pitch of the Red Sox season. (Well, and the Tigers season, I suppose.) I have no idea if it was the first game of the year. Or if someone else hit a ball on the third pitch, but one minute before Evans. So, “earliest” is kind of an odd designation.

But, the card itself is pretty cool. A great picture of Evans filling out the frame. The colors work well with the wood borders.


And with it, I was one more step closer to completing the 1987 set. 

2 comments:

  1. Had the same dilemma. I'm 100% positive I built the 1987 set (actually built a bunch). But I'm 97% confident I attempted to build the 1986 set too. I ended up using an 86T card for my challenge.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week