Monday, March 30, 2015

From the Pedro Binder



2001 Fleer Genuine

Looks like this is the base version of the previously mentioned “@LG” set. This one is simply “genuine.” Genuine what? I have no idea. Since it was the name of the set, and not an insert or subset, it clearly applies to every player. So, it’s not like Pedro is a “genuine ace,” although he is. It’s something genuine that is universal. But, if it’s universal, do you need to specify genuine?

Weird name aside, I actually like this card. I have no earthly idea why. The team name is in that awful script, and tilted on its side. Pedro’s name is in that awful foil, and tilted on its side. Pedro’s position (which my scanner apparently decided wasn’t worth showing) is also, tilted on its side. Pedro’s missing his right leg. It’s everything I usually list off that I hate about the card.

But it still works.

Somehow.

I like how close the picture of Pedro is cropped. I like how the contract between him and the background image in enhanced. I like how there is, in fact, a background image. The shaded border gives a splash of color without being distracting. And, of course, I’m always a sucker for the image extending over the border. That’s especially nice in this case, since the words on the left are on top of Pedro. It gives the illusion that he is striding into an area between a floating frame. Like when people hold up wooden frames for a selfie.

So, I guess this shows that there is no checklist to appeal. If there were, this card would have missed all the marks. But it somehow works.


Genuinely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week