Monday, April 8, 2013

From the Pedro Binder


2002 Topps Opening Day

I’m trying to decide.

When I’ve mentioned the Topps Opening Day sets before, I’ve said that Topps decided to make the OD sets different in two different ways. Sometimes the changed the border color, and added a logo. Sometimes, they just added the logo.

I can’t decide which I like better.

This is one of the latter examples. This card is the spitting image of the base Topps card, with the Opening Day logo added. Part of me likes the cleaner look this provides, as opposed to making a gold logo bright green. But, on the other hand, hard to really call this a whole different card set when it’s just a little extra foil.

Of course, it’s not just a little extra foil, is it? That’s one heck of a logo they slapped on there. The year, the 3-D stadium effect with the ball. That took some serious effort.

And, I think it kills the card.

The rest of it is fine. I like the gold borders…or bronze, or whatever color that actually is. I love the important information nestled in flowing banners. I can even handle the picture of Pedro with that hideous grimace. That’s just Pedro getting ready to unleash his fire.

But, that tacky, gaudy foil logo just destroys everything for me. I just can’t seem to get past it.

That’s really too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week