Friday, April 9, 2021

Carolyn Brady Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Carolyn Brady is passionate about immigration appreciation, a talented violinist, 
and the current Miss Maine. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Carolyn Brady visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Maine crown?

By getting right to work the next day of course! At the time, I thought I would only have this title for a year and I didn't want to waste a minute of time. I won on a Saturday night and was out in the community in my crown and sash on Sunday morning!


That gave you the opportunity to compete for Miss America. What was that experience like?

Needless to say, our Miss America experience was very different from that of any state titleholder from years prior. It was the ultimate test of rolling with the punches and I definitely learned a lot about how to expect the unexpected. However, I was incredibly fortunate to have spent that week with all of my sisters and to have shared that experience with them. I truly believe that the friendships we created that week will last a lifetime!


As your term as Miss Maine finishes a second year, do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish with the extra time?

Just continued growth and development. I have always sought

to leave a space better than I found it, and that holds true for my role as Miss Maine as well. While I hope I was able to do that over the course of my first year, I plan to continue working to build our state program in hopes of creating more opportunities for the young women who participate in our program as well as the people of Maine. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Immigration Builds our Nation”?

When I first started competing in the Miss America Organization, I was actually competing in Pennsylvania with a social impact initiative focused on music education. However, when I decided to compete in Maine and I acknowledged that if I won, I would be the first black woman to win the state title, I wanted to find a social impact initiative that was relevant to the needs of people in Maine but also an issue that I could serve in a unique way, so I decided to devote my efforts to immigration appreciation. 


As a talented violinist, what do you enjoy about performing out on stage?

Photo by Susan Costa
I enjoy music as an art form, designed to make both the performers and the audience members evoke a feeling. My favorite aspect of performing is using my talent as a medium to do just that. 


How would you finish the sentence, “If I could change one thing it would be ___”?

Oh goodness, just one? Well on a fun note, I would put a SoulCycle in every state in America. On a more serious note, I would eliminate cancel culture and exchange it for accountability culture. Instead of 'you gotta go', let's try more 'live, learn, and grow'. More conversations. More education. More acceptance of mutual goals.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Judy Hopps. As an underdog from the very beginning, she

became the first rabbit officer of the Zootopia Police Department, worked her way up through the force, and eventually uncovered a criminal conspiracy, all while breaking preconceptions about other species and working to make the world a better place. She does it all! 


If you had an extra ticket to a Portland Sea Dogs game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would bring someone who likes to eat as much as I do. Hot dog lovers would definitely receive priority in the selection process! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Well I was fortunate enough to throw the first pitch at a Portland Sea Dogs game shortly after I won Miss Maine. Hypothetically, I'm sure I would enjoy the thrill of catching a foul ball, but in reality, I guarantee that if a foul ball was headed anywhere near my seat, I would scream louder than you have ever heard a person scream before. 


---

I'd definitely be more of a "pick it up when it stops rolling" foul ball catcher myself! 

As always, I want to thank Carolyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Carolyn continues her time as Miss Maine, I encourage you to follow her on Instagram and Facebook account. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 
 
Thanks again Carolyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week