Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Katheryn Frederick Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Katheryn Frederick is passionate about youth advocacy, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Aloha Hawai'i. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I am also so flattered that she is our first visitor from the state of Hawaii!

So, let's see what happens when Katheryn Frederick visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Aloha Hawai’i crown? 

There was SO much adrenaline coursing through my body for days on end before the competition. I remember I couldn’t eat or sleep I was so nervous, but also excited! So the night I was crowned I got into the car, my family and I driving home, and I fell asleep! 


Long story short, I’d say I celebrated with a lot of rest, and a few days later my mom and I did an amazing photoshoot with my crown! The following week was so busy, and I made a lot of mistakes...but that just goes to show that nothing new is easy! It takes work, learning from those mistakes, and doing our best to do the job. I’m so blessed to have this opportunity of service!

 

What has been the most pleasant surprise about your time as Miss Aloha Hawai’i? 

The SISTERHOOD! The Miss Kona Coffee Scholarship

competition was my first pageant, and I ended up becoming a part of a very empowered group of sisters! I think a very common misconception of “pageantry” is that it’s filled with stuck up snobby girls, but this is untrue! We are all on a mission with a purpose! We’re all located around different parts of the US, and I’ve made so many friends, even penpals, throughout quarantine! 

 

What part of the upcoming Miss Hawaii competition are you most nervous about?

The Miss Hawaii Competition takes place on May 15th and I’m THRILLED! Not only have I had a whole extra year to perfect my Social Impact Initiative, but I’ve had time to grow as an individual. This time for growth and transformation will definitely show when I walk out on stage. As for the part I’m most nervous about...that would probably be the moments before the crown is passed off to its next titleholder. I can feel the tension just thinking about it! I’ve put so much of myself into this journey, and no matter what the outcome is, I’m just so proud of who I’ve become!

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Be Sensational - Youth Advocacy”?

This past June I connected with the Black Lives Matter Movement as a bi-racial young woman. It was tough for me to see my community feel so strongly about events that just SHOULD NOT be taking place. I found my voice and began speaking out as best as I could. 


The night before I participated in a march to remember George Floyd, my father told me that I was proof of society’s evolution. I was both black, and white...two sides of history. My VOICE...is what makes me sensational. 


I say this to express the WHY behind my Social Impact Initiative. The voices of our youth are revolutionary. They are what will shape and eventually CHANGE our future. Showing them that they can be CONFIDENT in their own voices, will only strengthen the possible impact they could have.

 

As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

Dancing is one of my favorite ways to tell a story. My favorite part about dancing on stage is spinning into my own world, even if just for a few second, there’s this moment when the audience disappears and it’s just me and the music. There’s always a certain feeling of peace within me when dancing, and I think that’s because I connect with it as a language and not just a passion. 

 

What is your personal fitness routine?

I’m currently a fitness coach through Beachbody! I work out at home with Beachbody On Demand, which is essentially a Netflix but with JUST workout programs. They range from yoga to weight lifting, to cardio. They even have workouts for kids! 

 

Personally, I like sticking to a 3 or 6-week program, committing to it, and working out at least five times a week! I take rest days, to stretch and take care of my body, but I’ve always been an athlete. Being able to workout AT home has saved me this past year. 

 

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Tiana! Ohmygosh, a little secret dream I’ve always had is to audition for Tiana at Disney! Her story is so amazing, and I think encouraging our younger girls to work hard for what they dream of is powerful! Plus, she is the first Disney Princess that represents the black community, which is a big moment in history. Having representation in our media and politics is a form of empowerment we NEED. It is hard for most to bring dreams to reality when they cannot see what it could look like.  

 

If you had an extra ticket to see your hometown Mariners, who would you bring with you? Why?

I’d bring my little sister Charlotte! I currently live on the Big Island, but Seattle will always feel like a distant home, It holds memories from when I was small!


I remember going to my first Mariners game with my parents, eating nachos and letting my feet swing out in front of me since I wasn’t big enough to touch the ground. I even got to meet Mariner Moose and he signed my shirt!

 

I’d love to take her back now that she’s ten so she can have that same experience!

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I say, I wish finding a parking spot was easier! I remember it taking forever just to park!


No, but seriously, when I got to go to my first Mariners game I sat very close to the field, so I think it’d be cool to sit up top! See the crowd AND the game all at once! 


---


I could definitely get behind easier parking! 


As always, I want to thank Katheryn for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Katheryn continues her time as Miss Aloha Hawai'i, I encourage you to check out her personal and official Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Hawaii title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

 

Thanks again Katheryn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week