Friday, July 31, 2020

Taryn Smith Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Taryn Smith is passionate

Photo by salinab.photography

about helping the homeless, a talented singer, and the current Miss City of New York. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Taryn Smith visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss City of New York crown?

I feel so silly saying this but… I went to taco bell. (After I dried my tears and pinched myself) I turned to my girlfriends and said, “where is the nearest Taco bell.” And we walked across Manhattan, myself and this wonderful group of women who I have come to love as my family – and I sat in an NYC taco bell and ate a burrito in an emerald green Ralph Lauren evening gown. It’s one of my favorite memories of living in New York now!

What made you decide to compete for the Miss City of New York crown?

When I moved to New York in 2018 I new I wanted to serve this city through the Miss America Organization. But I waited two years to do it because I knew that when it was my time- I wanted to really know New York. I wanted to be a great local title holder. You can’t serve well without knowing and loving those you serve.

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss City of New York?

I think how clear and focused on my mission I have been able to be. I have been a title holder with MAO before and always loved it… but serving NYC has really ignited a passion in me that has kept me focused on my SII and focused on my community and it’s been incredible. It continues to be incredible.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “S.O.S. Supporting Our Shelters”?

Back in 2015 I served as Miss Seattle, back then my SII or then, “platform” was focused on increasing literacy in lower income communities. That brought me into family shelters. I started reading to children in family shelters and fell in love- and have felt passionately ever since that we can be doing more for homeless families across the Nation.

As a talented singer, what do you enjoy about performing out on stage?

Photo by salinab.photography

What is your personal fitness routine?

I’m a weight lifter. I love the squat rack and keep my cardio to a minimum to keep my strength up.

You have been able to travel to many places across the globe. What has been your favorite place to visit?

That’s a toss up between Paris, and Ireland. Paris has my heart, but I think Ireland really captured my soul. It’s just so tragically beautiful, and the people are so kind. If you haven’t been to Ireland, you’ve gotta go!

If you had an extra ticket to a Mets-Yankees game, who would you take with you? Why?

My dad! He’s a Seattleite, but wears a Yankees cap all the time. I’d love to take my dad.

---


That sounds like it would be a great time!


As always, I want to thank Taryn for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Taryn continues her time as Miss City of New York, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of what she has going on!


I definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss New York title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!


Thanks again Taryn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week