Friday, August 18, 2017

Gina Salvatore Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Gina Salvatore is an actress, singer, Yankees fan, and the current Miss Bristol. Wait, what? Yes, Gina
hails from the “Yankees fan” section of Connecticut. So, I thought it would be fun to have her visit line up with the Yankees visit to Fenway Park this weekend. Thankfully she agreed to discuss all those topics, and more. I’m sure you’ll be glad she did.

So, let’s see what happens when Gina Salvatore visits Section 36!

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Bristol?
After years of being a title holder I am always surprised at the way young children look up to me! I’m still shocked that they are in awe of me when they see me out in the community and it is so heart warming when they want to have their photo taken with me! It means so much when young girls say they want to grow up to be Miss Bristol because I know in their hearts they want to lead a life of service and be a able to serve the place they call home and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for them! 

As your time as Miss Bristol comes to a close, is there something you’d like to accomplish before the end of your term?
My goal is to keep spreading the word about my platform and the Fisher House Organization. Little do people know that it is a top rated charity and having a Fisher House in the state of Connecticut will change the lives of so many veterans and their families. 

How did you choose your platform, “Heart to Heart: Supporting Military Families and Veterans”?
I come from a military family so it was a no brainer when I chose my platform. I currently volunteer with the Fisher House Organization, which is like a Ronald McDonald house but for veterans and their families. They are building the first Connecticut Fisher House in West Haven right now and I can’t wait until veteran families from across our state and in the Northeast can reap the benefits of this house! 

You’ve performed in a couple dozen plays and musicals. How does being on stage in a pageant compare to being on stage as an actress?
Being on stage competing in a pageant is so different from performing in a play or musical. In a pageant you get to be yourself and show the judges and the audience your self expression and what brings you the greatest joy whereas in a play you take on the personality of someone else so you’re always focused on bringing that character to light and leaving your true self in the shadows. 

As a talented singer, you’ve been able to sing the national anthem on several occasions in several venues. Which has been your favorite?
Singing at Fenway for the Frozen Fenway series was a remarkable
experience but nothing compares to singing at home at Gampel Pavillion at UConn. The entire crowd joins in on singing the Anthem and there is no other feeling like it. Another amazing stadium I’ve had the opportunity to sing at was Dunkin Donuts Park in Hartford, CT! The stadium is gorgeous and the Hartford Yardgoats sure know how to play an entertaining game! 

You mentioned that earlier this year you were able to attend the Uconn vs Maine men’s hockey game at Fenway park. What was that experience like?
I never knew why they nicknamed Fenway the “Green Monster” but after walking on the field and taking it all in, I could easily see why! Singing at Fenway was absolutely phenomenal. Not only was it the biggest venue I’d sang in but there’s a sense of pride and excitement that fills the air before any UConn game and this time that feeling was almost palpable. Being in such a large venue rooting on one of UConn’s greatest teams is an experience I will never forget…and hope to do again one day...but maybe after I’ve sung at Yankee Stadium!

Who was your favorite Yankees player growing up? Why?
THIS IS MY FAVORITE QUESTION. Hands down my favorite player was Alfonso Soriano. I was heartbroken when he was traded to the Rangers before I could get a Soriano Yankees shirt so my aunt got me a Rangers one instead and she even got me a signed baseball which I still have to this day- kid in a candy store over here!! He was a solid ball player as a Yankee, played second base which was the position I played as a kid in softball, was cute as can be, and also wore my lucky number, 12, so what was there not to love?! 

Which young Yankees player are you most excited about?
Aaron Judge! Watching the homer derby on t.v. and seeing him sweep the competition to seeing him play at Yankee Stadium just a few weeks later- this is one player I believe is unstoppable. You can see when he steps up to the plate his determination to get a good hit in for his team but you can sense the fun he is having and how much he genuinely enjoys the game. The best is yet to come for him! 

How do you think the Red Sox and Yankees will finish the 2017 season?
I know the Yankees have it in them to win another World Series this season and despite losing their last 2 out of three games against the Sox, I have a good feeling we will sweep the series next time we see them on the field! Yankees for the win!! 

-----

Hmm. One of the few times I’ve ever disagreed with an answer! But, I have to give Gina tons of respect for liking Soriano over Jeter. Definitely OK in my book!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Gina for doing this interview. She did a wonderful job. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. They definitely spruce up the post, and make it a lot more fun to read.

As Gina finishes her time as Miss Bristol, I encourage you to follow her on the official Facebook page. It’s also definitely worth checking out her personal website to catch up on all the great content posted there. And, of course, go follow Gina on social media, including Instagram and Twitter.


Thanks again Gina!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week