Friday, July 28, 2017

Kylee Kurto Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Kylee Kurto is a talented blogger, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Merrimack. As we enter the final
few months of her reign, she was nice enough to visit with us to discuss those topics, and more. I’m sure you’ll be glad she did.

So, let’s see what happens when Kylee Kurto visits Section 36!

What made you decide to compete for the Miss Merrimack title?
Last August was the first time I ever competed with the Miss America Organization and actually my first pageant ever. After placing in three out of four competitions I began to feel defeated. The girls I had met through the program encouraged me to keep participating. Two in particular, Katie Masso-Glidden (Miss Captial Area) and Brooke Gatchell (Miss Souhegan Valley) worked with me one-on-one in every phase of competition. In November I finally felt prepared enough to compete and that is how I ended up winning Miss Merrimack! It was also a funny coincidence that I attended Merrimack College at the time, it was a perfect fit for my first title. 

What has been the most surprising part of being Miss Merrimack?
The amount of work and time that goes into being a title holder. Since it was my first year people told me what to expect but you don't really know until you experience it. Trying to graduate college and prepare for Miss New Hampshire was not an easy task. I have to thank my family and my director who helped me get through several mental break downs in the weeks leading up to the competition. But I wouldn't take it back in a heartbeat. Miss New Hampshire exceeded all my expectations and I made Top 12! Hard work always pays off.

For the upcoming Miss America season, you changed your platform to the "National Eating Disorder Association: Feeding Hope". What pushed you to make that change?
When I was told I needed a platform I didn't have a clue what I should do. My mom suggested a rare disease our family friend was battling with and I ran with it. But by the end of last competition season I felt like I really couldn't connect to it and be the advocate I needed to be. So I decided it was time to choose a different platform, one I was truly passionate about and that was my battle with my weight a few years ago. I have received tremendous support from everyone and even have connected with another competitor who has a similar platform. We are planning to do fundraisers, walks and campaigns together.

You’re a fellow blogger. What is “Fun, Fit & Flirty” all about?
Fun, Fit & Flirty just had its first Birthday this past March! It is a blog I initially created to publicize my eating disorder and it has turned into a full-blown blogging site. I wanted to make it a safe place where anyone can go to read or privately share their thoughts with me. A section of my blog features a campaign I created titled "Love Your Lines". This campaign ties along with my platform and means to love all your beauty scars no matter how big or small. I love writing. I don't do it for other people and I certainly do not have perfect grammar but writing has sparked many ideas for me and that includes writing my own book.

If you can’t sit in Section 36, where do you (or where would you) like to sit to watch a Red Sox game?
If I couldn't sit in Section 36 I would love to be right behind home plate. That's where a lot of the action happens and I might get a little TV time, I am not camera shy!

Who was your favorite player growing up? Why?
As a kid I was head over heels for Jacoby Ellsbury. At ten years old I was less concerned about the game and more concerned about the serious crush I had on him.

Which young Red Sox player are you most excited about?
The young player I am most excited about is Andrew Benintendi. He is definitely a player everyone should keep their eyes on!

This is the first Red Sox season in a while without David Ortiz. What’s your favorite Ortiz memory?
Big Papi, what a legend. I don't think I can pinpoint one memory but every time I watched a game with my dad he was hitting home run after home run. What I really love about David Ortiz is his commitment to charity. The David Ortiz Children fund was created to help children in New England and in the Dominican access pediatric care. 

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2017 season?
So far the Red Sox are looking great! While still holding down the 1st place spot I am hoping we can win ourselves the 2017 World Series Championship!

-----

Hard to argue with that analysis!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Kylee for doing this interview. She did a fantastic job. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to go along with the interview. They add a lot to the post, and make it much more fun to read.

As Kylee continues her time as Miss Merrimack, I encourage you to follow her on the official Facebook page. Of course, you should also check out her blog Fun, Fit & Flirty as often as you can!

And, I want to wish Kylee luck as she enters the next Miss America season. Especially as she takes aim at the Miss Liberty title on Aug 12! 


Thanks again Kylee, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week