Thursday, February 26, 2009

Autographs Through the Mail

I have decided to try once again to obtain autographs of Red Sox players through the mail. I know my last two attempts haven’t panned out so far. Neither Jon Lester nor Wily Mo Pena has responded to my request. (Really, how many requests can Wily Mo have to sift through?) But, if you don’t try, you’ll never succeed, right? Once again, I’m trying the Red Sox Spring Training address. My fastest responses in the past have come from Spring Training sites. The reasons? I don’t know for sure, but it would make sense that there is less for players to do during Spring Training downtime. It’s not like any of them are home. They don’t have chores to do, or family functions to attend. The wife and kids are at home. So, a player's nights must provide more time to sit in front of the TV and open fan mail, right? Who’d I try this time? Four members of the 2007 World Championship team:

Jacoby Ellsbury. As I’ve said before, I love watching this guy play. He has game changing speed like nothing the Sox have ever seen. It’s much like having Randy Moss on your team. With Moss, the “red zone” might as well be at the 50-yard line. With Ellsbury, scoring position is really at first base. I’ve always been a fan, and it would be fun to get a sig.

Clay Buchholz. A future star in the making. While his role on the 2009 team is questionable (another reason to send it to Fort Myers), there appears little doubt that Clay will be a mainstay in the rotation for years to come. How could I not want his autograph?

Manny Delcarmen. Middle relievers don’t get a lot of love on the team. But, a quick look at the 2007 Playoffs shows that he deserves some. Where would the Sox be without his 1.1 scoreless innings against the Angels? Would the other Manny have been able to smash his walk-off in game 2 without Delcarmen? He’d be a great addition to my collection.

Jonathan Papelbon. This one’s easy. How could you not want the autograph of an elite closer? I just love seeing him trot out from the bullpen. He’d be an amazing autograph to have.

Hopefully, at least one of these three guys answers. I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

And, this won’t be the end of this year’s requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week