Friday, June 9, 2023

Britney Lane Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Britney Lane is passionate about advocating for sexual assault victims, a big Red Sox fan, and the current Miss New Hampshire USA. I was so thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Britney Lane visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate the Miss New Hampshire USA crown?

I actually hopped on a plane and headed to Florida for a vacation the day after I was crowned! After all the months of preparation, I knew I needed a break to recharge no matter if I won or lost.


What has been the biggest surprise about your time as Miss NH USA?

So many people have come up to me since I won and remembered me from a pageant I had done 5 or 6 years ago. They explain that they followed my journey over the last few years and loved to see my growth. After hearing so many no’s, it was so amazing to hear from people who believed in me for such a long time.


What part of the upcoming Miss USA pageant are you most nervous about?

I have never been on such a large national stage before! I definitely feel the nerves when I think about walking where so many other amazing women have walked before. I think it’s more of excited nerves though. I am so excited to represent New Hampshire and show everyone how our state can bring it!


You currently work as a child and family therapist. What drew you to that field?

I have been in therapy since I was a teenager. I live with anxiety and depression, and I saw how therapy empowered me to reclaim who want to be. I wanted to give that back to others who are living with mental illness. The kiddos I work with are resilient and so positive, it makes me feel like I am making a real impact. I also get to play games and hang with some awesome kiddos.


What can you tell me about your journey advocating for sexual assault victims?

Following my own sexual assault, I found justice in the form of advocating. I saw the injustices I faced following my experience and wanted to change the policies to give more rights to survivors. I had the opportunity to testify in front of state senate and help pass The Sexual Assault Survivor Bill of Rights into law. Through my advocacy, I learned that sharing my story has made other survivors feel comfortable sharing their own. Being open about my experience as a survivor has empowered me to regain my voice.


What is your personal fitness routine?

I really love yoga and pilates/ barre. I was a competitive dancer for 16 years so barre and pilates brings me back to my dancing roots. I hold a lot of tension in my body throughout the day, so yoga has helped ground me and remind me to release the tension. I am a morning workout person, so I like to get up at 5 or 6am to start my day with a workout.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Oh, Belle easy! I love to read and learn new things from each book I finish like she does. Belle sees the beauty in the things that may look scary or different on the outside. I work to bring that into my personal mindset every day.


If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox game at Fenway, who would you take with you? Why?

I feel like many people in my life would fight over this extra ticket. I went to college in Boston less than a mile from Fenway Park. During my four years, I went to probably about 30 Red Sox games. Fenway is truly my favorite place in the world. If I had to choose just one person, I would take my dad. He introduced me to baseball and inspired my love of the Red Sox. I still remember our first game at Fenway when I was a kid. It was in August and probably about 95 degrees. My mom and sister kept going to the bathroom to get out of the heat. My dad and I stayed in the sun watching the whole game.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Photo: Harris Davey
One of my favorite parts about going to Fenway was seeing who would throw out the first pitch. It was usually a politician, a celebrity, or a retired player. One game it was Miss Massachusetts USA. I remember thinking “when I win a crown like that one day, I’m going to do that.” I’m still working on trying to get out on the pitcher’s mound or be part of a pre-game ceremony. If anyone out there has some connections let me know!


---

Can anyone out there help her out?

As always, I want to thank Britney for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss USA! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Britney during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account, as well as her personal account. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Britney, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week