Friday, March 17, 2023

Kierra Hilts Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Kierra Hilts is passionate about saving shelter animals, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Miami Beach. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Kierra Hilts visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Miami Beach crown?

After winning Miss Miami Beach, I was able to spend time with friends and family, and we had a really sweet celebratory dinner. It is so nice after an eventful day to spend time with those who matter most to me, and I really appreciate all of their support. 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Miami Beach?

During my time as Miss Miami Beach, I have a goal of reading to a school in every county in Florida. Currently I have read to over 58 classrooms, which totals out to around 1,300 children impacted. During this school tour, I talk to school children about my platform, We C.A.N. Achieve No Kill, as well as what they need to know before they adopt an animal. 


What part of the upcoming Miss Florida competition are you most nervous about?

I am always the most nervous for an interview because it is my first impression with the judges. With that being said, the interview portion is also my favorite phase of competition because it is my chance to share my passions with the judges. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “We C.A.N. Achieve No Kill”?

When I was thirteen, I had a school project and decided to start working in animal shelters as part of that project. I would visit the shelter every week and fell in love with volunteering with animals. After learning how high the animal euthanasia rate was in the U.S., I saw a need for educating our communities on the different ways we can lower these sad statistics. Since then I have worked with Best Friends Animal Society and started my own grassroots team in my community, volunteered under a lobbyist for the Humane Society of the United States, visited classrooms throughout Florida educating children on my platform, fostered 11 puppies, and volunteered over 700 hours in our shelter. 


As a talented dancer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?

I love being able to share my passion for dancing on stage. I've been dancing since I was five years old and now that I am in college, I rarely have the opportunity to dance. Being on stage and performing brings me back to one of my early life passions and allows me to express myself. 


You are currently attending Florida State University. Where do you hope those studies will take you?

I plan on obtaining my Bachelors in Science degree in Nursing and Political Science with a double minor in Psychology and Biology. After completing my degrees, I hope to obtain my Nurse Practitioners license and work in a hospital.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would be Moana. She is my favorite Disney Princess because of her free spirit and confidence. I think that I would also love to live on a tropical island and would really enjoy being so close to the water. 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play the Marlins, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my dad with me! My dad is a long time sports fanatic and would enjoy the experience more than I ever could. I think he also deserves so much and a nice day at the ballpark would be the perfect way to spend our day. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I would love to throw a first pitch at least one time in my life. It would be so fun, even though I'm not sure how great my throw would be, to have that opportunity. 


---

I would definitely love to give a first pitch a try! 

As always, I want to thank Kierra for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Florida! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Kierra during her journey as Miss Miami. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram and organization's Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Kierra, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week