Friday, November 12, 2021

Amy Phillips Visits Section 36!

Photo: Richard Krauss
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Amy Phillips is passionate about career readiness, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Cape May County Region. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Amy Phillips visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Cape May County Region crown?

Although I have my personal training certification, I also consider myself a cake-a-holic (it is all about balance, right?). I indulged in a delicious piece of cake at our Queens’ Reception following our crownings!


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Cape May County Region competition that will help you at Miss New Jersey?

This year’s pageant theme was “Through the Years,” and we had to share what legacy we would want to leave behind through the years. After careful thought, I decided that I would want my legacy to be one of class and kindness. I am a big believer in handwritten thank you notes, firm handshakes, and making people feel important when I am speaking with them. Establishing this mindset at my local competition help me set my intentions in preparation for Miss New Jersey.


Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Cape May County Region?

Photo: Joseph Ryan

I have several goals in mind! I would love to make my social impact initiative, Career Kickstart, more accessible during COVID through virtual classroom presentations, career coaching sessions, and media campaigns. I would also love to continue my clothing drive for “Dress for Success,” which is a non-profit that provides job interview clothes for underprivileged women. Serving my county as a great ambassador is my priority, whether that be through speaking engagements, service opportunities, or county events.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Career Kickstart”?

Photo: Laura Goodreau
My high school guidance counselor asked me to host an assembly for rising juniors and seniors to ask questions about my college and career experiences. I was surprised to hear how unprepared students felt about their upcoming options, and with further research, I realized New Jersey does not have a mandatory career readiness curriculum for our K-12 students. I created my own curriculum to prepare students for the workforce where we learn topics such as résumé writing, interview techniques, the various pathways after high school, and how to turn passions into job choices. I have given over 50 presentations to thousands of students, and I can’t wait to increase those metrics. 


Photo: Richard Krauss
As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

I have never entered a pageant without choreographing my own talent routine, and being able to perform my own work has to be my favorite part. I think there is something to be said for a candidate who not only has great technique and performance qualities, but who puts her heart into creating the piece she showcases as well. I was honored to win talent at my most recent local competition!


You’ve had the opportunity to work as a television reporter. What have you enjoyed from that experience?

Photo Aaron Lee
I loved my time meeting new people and hearing their incredible stories when I was an ABC and Fox News reporter in Georgia and Alabama! My favorite interview was with David Bellavia, the only living soldier from the Iraq War to receive the Medal of Honor. I was absolutely honored to learn from someone so prestigious, and to hear the details about the Second Battle of Fallujah.


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Definitely Olaf! If you have ever seen Frozen, you know that this little snowman lights up the room with laughter and warmth. Like Olaf, I also love summer, and I think it would be neat to have my own personal flurry for a week!


What is your favorite part about attending a baseball game in person?

During my undergrad at Towson University, I had the opportunity to commentate and film various sporting events with the Towson Sports Network. I loved practicing my videography skills during Towson’s baseball games, and getting to interview the players and coaching staff after the games.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Our current Miss New Jersey, Alyssa Sullivan, had the opportunity to attend a South Jersey Field of Dreams baseball game over the summer. I would love to attend one of their games someday and throw out the opening pitch! The Field of Dreams is a baseball league for children with physical and cognitive disabilities.


---


That sounds like it would be a wonderful experience!


As always, I want to thank Amy for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Amy continues her time as Miss Cape May County Region, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram and Facebook account, as well as her title organization's Instagram. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


You should also check out the website for her SII, Career Kickstart, to learn more information about this great cause.


I also want to wish Amy luck when she competes for Miss New Jersey! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Amy, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week