Friday, October 22, 2021

Alysa Goethe Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Alysa Goethe is passionate about advocating for those with diabetes, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Greater Des Moines. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Alysa Goethe visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater Des Moines crown?

I spent lots of time with my family! I was fortunate to have many loved ones attend and watch me get crowned despite my hometown being two and a half hours away. They all traveled over 100 miles to cheer me on, and I wanted to soak up every moment I could before they traveled back. There were lots of tears, laughter, and beautiful memories I can now look back on! 

 

What part of the upcoming Miss Iowa competition are you most nervous about?

I’m honestly most nervous about packing! I always manage to forget to bring one item with me, and since I’m a huge perfectionist, it leaves me quite frustrated. But, I’ve already started my packing list 8 months in advance this time, so hopefully that eases my nerves!

 

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Greater Des Moines? 

Now that we are finding ways to safely gather again after being distanced for so long, I plan to take every opportunity to reach out into the community as possible. Being able to connect with people, provide a service, and spark an interest in the Miss Iowa program is truly one of the best parts of this job. Specifically with my social impact initiative, I am going to continue partnering with local businesses and organizations to fundraise and advocate for type one diabetes, as well as visit schools to educate students and teachers about the importance of joining the fight to end T1D.   

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Not Your Type: Advocating for Type One Diabetes”?

On August 22nd, 2011, my life changed forever. When I was just 11 years old, in my first week of middle school, I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. And on August 23rd, 2011, I decided that this was a cause I wanted to be involved in. This initiative has been embedded in my everyday life since the moment I was diagnosed, and I knew right away that this was what I should be promoting during my time in MAO. I have found that diabetes advocacy is often overlooked both in life and in pageantry, which ultimately fuels my fire even more. 

 

As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

The times I feel the most at peace and free are when I am sharing my passion for music with others. I have LOVED to sing ever since I could speak because music has provided me an outlet to express myself when I can’t find the right words to say. It’s so fun to share this part of myself with others and connect through music!

 

You’re pursuing a career in arts education. What drew you to that field?

The mentors I had throughout my musical education instilled a confidence in my musical abilities that I didn’t ever think I could attain. It’s because of the teachers I had that my passion for singing has blossomed into what it is today, and I want to bring that love to students as my teachers did to me! 

 

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Rapunzel is my all-time favorite Disney princess because she’s so adventurous, loves life, and rocks any hairstyle. She’s definitely who I’d want to be! 

 

If you had an extra ticket to an Iowa Cubs game, who would you take with you? Why?

My dad is the biggest baseball fan I know, and as a die-hard Chicago Cubs fan, I would love to see the Iowa Cubs with him! I grew up playing softball with my dad as a coach and it’s something we love to bond over. 

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to get a tour of a stadium. I’ve been fortunate to participate in many fun traditions of baseball games like singing the National Anthem and throwing out the first pitch, but I’d love to see more behind-the-scenes

action!


---


I definitely want to take in a stadium tour or two myself!


As always, I want to thank Alysa for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Alysa continues her time as Miss Greater Des Moines, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also want to wish Alysa luck when she competes for Miss Iowa! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.


Thanks again Alysa, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week