Friday, May 14, 2021

Madison Morrow Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Madison Morrow is passionate about the arts, a talented painter, and the current 
Miss Moraine State. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Madison Morrow visits Section 36! 


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Moraine State crown?

I called my mom! She has been one of my biggest supporters and has been with me every step of the way for all of my endeavors.


What part of the upcoming Miss Pennsylvania competition are you most nervous about?

I would have to say the unfamiliarity of it. I have never been able to compete in a state competition before, so I’m doing my best to prepare but don’t fully know what to expect.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Moraine State?

With the shutdown from the pandemic coming to a close, people are more likely to get out of their houses and want to be in person for events. However, this might mean that arts institutions will relax their digital content because their audiences are “coming back.” I hope to guide them on how to keep up their digital content for those who are not able to physically come to their spaces. If I can help five organizations implement a digital accessibility plan during my time as Miss Moraine State, then I would consider my time a success.


How did you select your social impact initiative “Arts For All”?

In the 1970’s, an art historian by the name of Nancy Hanks became the chairwoman for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA). To have a woman in such a high position at the time was quite a feat already, but her ability to raise funds, awareness, and appreciation for the arts was the true legacy she left behind. She had an “arts for all Americans” vision for the NEA, and that is where the inspiration for my platform title came from. “Arts For All” is exactly what it sounds like- art should be one of the most accessible things for people to enjoy, whether as an audience member or as an artist. However, this can only happen if there is funding for the organizations that create and showcase art.


As a speed painter, how do you select the subject for your competition painting?

I try to select something that is not too complex, but that is still detailed enough to be understood. Faces of famous artists or arts advocates are usually what I paint, but I’ve been able to do small landscapes or still lifes.


You’ve been able to do quite a bit of traveling. Is there a favorite place you’ve visited?

That’s such a hard question! Everywhere I have gone has had

its own thing that makes them especially unique, but if I had to pick, I would say Rocky Mountain National Park outside of Denver, Colorado. I went hiking there a few years ago, right when the snow was melting, and have never seen anything more beautiful. The lakes, trees, and mountains were out of a fairytale.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would love to be Kidagakash (“Kida”) from the movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire. She is the princess of Atlantis and does everything she can to save her community and people from dying out. She’s headstrong and independent, and I connected with her instantly!


If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox - Pirates game at PNC, who would you take with you? Why?

I would take my partner, Christopher. He has been a baseball fan his entire life and played when he was younger. MLB season is a very big deal to him, so being able to see the Pirates in person would make his day!


Is there a feature or activity at a Pirates game that you’d especially like to experience?

The Pierogi race, of course! Who doesn’t want to see a bunch of pierogis racing against each

other?


----


I can confirm that watching the pierogi race is a fun time!

As always, I want to thank Madison for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Madison continues her time as Miss Moraine State, I encourage you to follow her on her title and personal Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also absolutely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Pennsylvania title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Madison, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week