Wednesday, December 11, 2019

1975 Topps Page by Page: Page 4 (28-36)

I'm sure that you all remember that I finally completed my 1975 Topps set. 

Now that it's done I thought it would be fun to look through the set and talk about it. Going page by page seemed like a good way to go about it. Hopefully you find it interesting to read what I have to say.

How about we continue with page 4?


Red Sox Cards on the Page: 1. I think the photo on this Reggie Cleveland card just may have been taken during Spring Training. 

Cards that make the 1975 Topps set cool: I’ve said before that some of the fun cards in this set are the early hall of famers I only knew as grizzled vets, and cards of current managers from their playing days. This page has both, and then some. Bert Blyleven would end up making quite a career for himself after this card came out, and Dusty Baker is definitely better known by me as a manager. The added bonus of Ron Santo illustrates the other great thing about the set, the wide spread of player years. Here’s a guy who played in 1960 having a card in the set. Another hall of famer even. 

My favorite card on the page: I love the picture on the Dave Parker card...another star I remember only as an older player. It’s a posed shot, obviously, but his eyes are still following the flight of an imaginary ball. I would also be remiss if during “Photography Month” I didn’t mention the shot of a pensive Dave Rader. I assume this wasn’t posed, but it’s the sort of shot I’d expect from Donruss Studio.  

What would your answers to those last two categories be?

6 comments:

  1. The Blyleven and Baker are very cool. I like the Rader, too. This set has so many interesting cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. The main reason I wanted to complete it!

      Delete
  2. This may seem odd, but my favorite cards on the page are the three posed pitcher shots. Just scream 70's card photography to me. I met Reggie Cleveland when he was a coach in the 90's and he seemed pretty grumpy. The Santo card is an oddity as is it the only one that pictures him as a White Sox. I believe he wouldn't sign that card for awhile, but I have a reprint of that one signed in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pitchers cards are exactly the "action poses" you'd expect to see on cards from the era. Definitely a classic feel.

      Delete
  3. The Blylven card is the coolest by far. It's an early bubble-blowing card (and he looks like he's doing it in a dungeon). My favorite though is the Dusty Baker, just because I had the mini card back in '75 as a young owlie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Palm trees For the Win

    The Blyleven card always freaked out the 8 year old me a little bit. What does, Baseball keep a meat hook handy? Scary.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week