Monday, June 9, 2008

Red and Green

Once again, I’m reminded of how turned upside down the Boston Sports scene is these days.

I admit, the last week or so, I’ve been a bit distracted as a Red Sox fan. Our boys in green have been diverting some of my attention away. So, in a way, it’s nice to be able to combine the twin passions. During the broadcast of Game 2 of the NBA Finals, the cameras caught Curt Schilling in the crowd. I remember a few years ago when a certain injured Red Sox shortstop caught some flack for attending a Celtic game instead of rehabbing, but I’m not going there. What caught my attention was what Curt was doing in the shot. He, amazingly enough, knew the camera was on him. So, he was pointing to the championship ring he was wearing, and then to the Celtics. The obvious interpretation is, “Here’s what the Celtics want, and will get. A Championship Ring.” Can you imagine? A Red Sox player was providing the championship example for a Celtic player. Don’t worry Celtic fans. I know it’s been a long time. But, the Red Sox did it and so can the Celts. The Celtics also honored Jon Lester during the game. Were the Celtics really hitching their wagons to the Red Sox stars? Who would have expected that to happen in the Garden? Where am I?

Speaking of the Sox and Celts, I hear that the Red Sox have moved up a couple start times again. Tuesday and Thursday’s start will be moved to 6:05 to avoid a conflict with the Celtics game…in LA! When does this happen? Are the Red Sox actually moving the scheduled time of their game so fans can go home and watch TV? Is this Francona’s doing? He pushed ownership so he could watch the game, didn’t he. I haven’t seen an official explanation of the reasoning. Is it the ratings on NESN? Is it late concession sales at Fenway? If the Celtics series goes to game six, will the Sox ask Philadelphia to move their start time so our fans can watch the Celtics?

I have no idea what’s going on around here anymore. I know I like it though.

BEAT LA!

What people are reading this week