Friday, March 7, 2008
Papelbon signs
You can cross off one more distraction from the Spring Training list. Jonathan Papelbon signed his contract yesterday. Even this “distraction” was really a non-issue. Papelbon wasn’t going to hold out, or become a free agent, or anything like that. He just wanted to get a little bit more money than the Sox were planning. And, really, who can blame him? He was, apparently, looking for something around $900,000 for next year. The Sox were haggling over that? They can’t pay the best closer in the game as much as they give Schilling for not being fat? I understand there’s a pay scale structure with younger players. I’ll even go along with the moneyball belief that closers are overvalued. But, sometimes it’s not about the money. They need to sew up Pap for a “long” term deal soon. I can only assume that a three year deal is at least being floated out there. If the Sox can’t find Alex Cora money somewhere to give Papelbon, there’s something gravely wrong with their system.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What people are reading this week
-
Abby is the founder of Sunday Sets, a clothing line for travel, slow Sundays, and stadium nights. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit ...
-
By Jasslyn 7:00 PM on August 4th was truly one of those moments in my life that I know I will carry with me forever. I had the incredible ...
-
Section 36 world headquarters sometimes starts looking like.a Red Sox museum. Or, at the very least a cluttered collectibles store. Things I...
-
By Sammy Lauren This all came to be because in early June, Berklee career center had a link on their Instagram to submit videos singing the ...
-
I've heard of teams firing their manager. They even sometimes fire their hitting coach. Or the assistant hitting coach. They don't f...
No comments:
Post a Comment